The Upstate Mediation Center proudly reports its 18th year of continued growth and success in the Upstate! In 2017, the UMC conducted a record 681 mediations across all of its programs, and served 1,423 clients and impacted over 850 children. This is nearly a 10% increase in mediations in one year.
UMC Program Numbers:
- Family Court Mediations – 508
- Magistrate Court Mediations – 154
- Civil Court Mediations – 12
- Community Mediations – 4
- Community – Police Mediations – 4
- Greenville County – 54%
- Spartanburg County – 16%
- Anderson – 8%
- Pickens – 9%
- Other Surrounding Counties – 13%
- The Magistrate Mediation Program has maintained an 80% settlement rate throughout its history and these settlements serve to reduce the caseload in the Greenville County Magistrate Court system.
- The UMC Magistrate Mediation Program, Community Mediation Program, and Community – Police Mediation Program all operate at no cost to the litigants and interested parties.
- The UMC is able to offer affordable and free mediation services because of the support of its volunteer mediators, a dedicated group of specially trained individuals who have a passion for helping the community to resolve conflict peacefully. In 2017, UMC mediators volunteered 1342 in-kind hours—a contribution value of $201,300
- In 2017, the UMC welcomed 16 new trained volunteer mediators.
- UMC has instituted off-site mediations in the surrounding counties of Greenwood, Laurens, and Newberry making our services more accessible to our clients.
- 33% of UMC’s Family and Civil Mediation participants paid a nominal fee or no fee at all due to their income bracket.
- 397 litigants that could not afford legal counsel were able to seek resolution through mediation.
2017 Generous Grantors that enabled us to fulfill our mission:
- SC Bar Foundation – $30,000
- Greenville County – $20,000
- John I. Smith Charities – $20,000